Monday, August 10, 2009

Day 9-August 9

This was the time for touristy things...We spent all our time with Chris & Stephanie and Mitch & his wife (all running the feeding centers here) and got to see a little bit of this place.

Tim found out a few days ago that they have a Russian Orthodox church in UB and asked Keith if there was any way we could go see it. We were supposed to go see the Buddhist temple, but a lot of it is outdoors and it was pouring yesterday. The church was beautiful, as expected. It was really neat to get to go to an Orthodox cathedral in Mongolia - it was absolutely spectacular inside, so ornate!



At lunch we got to try horse meat finally... we had horse kabobs! It was actually really good - tasted a lot like a well seasoned, tougher steak. I feel guilty saying this but...I really liked it! I also got Adam a shirt they sold there "Mongolian say: Meat for men, Grass for animals" amusing since he loves to rock his "Animals Taste Good" t-shirt. I have to say though, except for the horse meat, lunch was a bummer, everything here has mutton and cabbage in it. In fact, the whole country smells like mutton & cabbage-I do not lie! And when I say 'mutton' I mean, they cook sheep that are so old they can barely stand up, it has this horrible, strong, smelly flavor/taste. It's pretty rank, and in every meal! I am actually beginning to crave cucumbers and oranges!!! We've been unable to eat the fruit here, since most of it is washed in their tainted water supply, it's just best to stay away from it, unless it's cooked, which is still tough since it's not in most dishes!

We did some walking around the city, and while in one of the shops I met a man here from the states (running across a white person is very rare) who had gone to UT! Quite the coincidence! In a square was this awesome monument type thing - it was the body and part of the neck of a guitar coming out of the ground. It was already cool, and then when we walked around to the other side, I found out it was dedicated to the Beatles!! There were statues of the four of them on the other side - SO awesome. It was pouring though, so I didn't get a picture... so I'm hoping we get to go back to get one. I know, I know... I'm a dork (but Adam would be pumped to see it)!

After that we went to a cultural show where they did their special Mongolian throat singing (you should look it up on You Tube, surely they have some on there... it is CRAZY!! Or maybe I'll be really cool and post a link someday...). They also had traditional dancing, lots of music with interesting instruments I've never seen before, AND contortionists!! They were incredible! Crazy that people can actually bend like that, and their arms were SO strong - and they were these tiny little girls! Crazy.


We had Mongolian BBQ after that, Amusing since it's a Chinese thing, but whatever. It was here I had my first (and hopefully only) up close and personal run in with a Mongolian drunk. I had to use the bathroom, and asked Mitch (who's about my Dad's size) where it was. He decided to go ahead and go to, so Jenny & I followed him downstairs to the bathroom. Once we got down he said he could hold it and for me to go ahead, which I thought was a little weird. What I hadn't noticed was the restaurant shared the bathrooms with the bar next door and the hallway was teaming with drunks. As soon as I came out of the bathroom, a man grabbed my butt, and started pulling me towards him. I kind of froze I was caught so off guard, thankfully Mitch yelled something in Mongolian, grabbed me by the shoulder and steered Jenny & I to the stairs while the man yelled. I was so stunned that something that MIGHT happen in a bar back home, is considered a very normal occurrence here. Stephanie said it happens to her almost 3 times a week. I can't tell you how many drunks we've seen here, as early as 11am-one was even riding his donkey!! When we left the restaurant, there was a man going to the bathroom against the front of the building, and no one seemed to care, or even notice. This place is so bizarre. I was happy to get home and fall into bed, my head swimming with all the thoughts of Mongolia.

No comments:

Post a Comment